Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Cost Of Living


One of the first things you notice when you go shopping in Taiwan is just how cheap a lot of things are. It's great!! After we got paid for the first time, Mel and I each had a $1000NT shopping spree. Maybe that sounds like a lot, but it's only $30CAN, and we each came home with a big bag full of new clothes. You can still spend a lot of money if you want to, but overall the cost of living here is very low compared to what we are used to in Canada. I notice this especially with restaurant prices- most people I know here never cook at home because it's just so cheap to eat out all the time. If you're thinking about spending some time in Taiwan, I hope this list helps you plan your budget (all prices roughly converted to Canadian Dollars).

A liter of gas= 75 cents CAD

A ride on the bus= 50 cents

A ride on the subway= 30 cents (short distance)-$1.30(the longest possible trip)

Taxi fare starts at= $2.30 and you'll probably pay $3.00 for a 10 minute journey


A Big Mac combo at McDonalds= $3.25

A tall latte at Starbucks= $4.00 (that shiz is overpriced wherever you go)

A bowl of noodles or a soup from a local vendor= $1.00


A can of Coke= 60 cents

A bag of Lays= 60 cents

A chocolate bar= 30 cents

A 355ml can of Taiwan Beer= 90 cents


An issue of "Sexy Nuts" magazine= $5.50

12 cubes (no rolls here) of toilet paper= $2.50

A new t-shirt= $3-$30 depending on the brand

A new pair of Converse shoes= $40


A Hello Ketty nighty= $3.00

High speed internet/monthly= $20

Cable TV/monthly= $15

A new CD= $15

A movie ticket= $7.50

Popcorn and pop combo at the theater= $1.75

Admission to the zoo or a museum= 30-60 cents

Transaction fee for using another banks' ATM= 15 cents


New Domo slippers= priceless

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:12 AM

    Wow thanks, I always wanted to know how much an issue of sexy nuts magazine cost, hehe. No seriously though, looks like Taiwan is just as cheap (or cheaper) than Seoul in terms of transportation and food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:41 AM

    Taiwan does in fact, sell rolls of toilet paper. When I first got here five years ago, it took me quite a while to find rolls myself so I wouldn't blame if you had the same trouble! Try supermarkets like Wellcome or Trenlian.

    However 7-11, Family mart and OK mart will only sell the cubes.

    How are prices on such goods like milk and eggs in Korea? Milk will put you back up to 3 dollars a liter (USD) off season...

    ReplyDelete