Of course, the first place we stopped was at the Modern Toilet restaurant, where we got a quick photo op with their giant poo mascot.
The atmosphere is delightful.
While there are some shops in Dongmen where there are prices on the tags, most of the places require you to barter with salespeople to buy the item you're interested in. For me, this isn't really ideal, because the price of a product usually determines if I'm interested in it. If you ask a salesperson here for a price, you automatically enter yourself into this song and dance of negotiating prices, which is kind of annoying if you were just curious, just trying to get a handle on the store's price range, or just looking. Anyway, even though it's not my preference, I've gotten kind of used to the bargaining, and it can even be sort of fun. But it's something you really have to be in the mood for or else it can be irritating. I wound up getting quite a few new things at the market, but unfortunately it really wasn't Mel or Jason's style at all so it wasn't totally enjoyable for them.
Anyway, may I now present the top 3 store names found at Dongmen Market today:
3. "the mashing a calculator pad to make a store name" shop
2. Titi
1. Two shops down from Titi: Jiss.
We finished the night by going to Pizza Hut in the Sea World area by our apartment (where a "regular" pizza is smaller than a personal size at home) and getting massages at Foot Massage Massage (where we got to watch The Voice: China on personal TVs), where Jason may or may not have had his spine permanently fractured. It was a good day.
I think I'd really enjoy the toilet restaurant -not the foods maybe but the idea ,seats etc.
ReplyDeleteLinda K