Sunday, November 04, 2012

Brand Whores

It's no secret that ripoff products are easy to find in Asia. Personally, I love it. I don't like paying extra just to own brand name items, but at the same time I like nice things and those nice things are usually brand name. So, shopping in Asia is a perfect fit for me. I've owned two pairs of "Birkenstick" sandals, I have several pairs of "Nike" and "Converse" shoes, before it disintegrated I used to own an "LV" wallet, and just a few nights ago I bought a $100 "North Face" backpack for $20.

Imagine our glee when we took a cab to the Shenzhen Bay border crossing back in September and drove past the most ridiculous collection of knockoff stores ever. We had tears in our eyes from the misspelled brand names. The only problem was we had no idea how to get back there to document this!

This weekend, we found it once again, a few blocks away from Wanxia Station, next to this collection of high-end apartment buildings and a dirty river. Presenting, the best collection of ripoff signs EVER:

The Louis Vuitton.

Chanel

Mont Blanc, anyone?

I got my ring at Tiffuay & Co.!

Emporio Armani.

An ad for an Aston Matinr car. Let's drive around in a knockoff car, that sounds safe!

Dior?

Another Chanel along with 2 Cartier shops.

Rllos Rocye= Rolls Royce.

Bentley: "Rare experience and glory. In other people to stop the place, we set out." Catchy slogan.

My absolute favorite has to be DOIR. So, so funny to read and say.

You may have noticed that all of these stores are empty. I'm not really sure what the purpose of this mall is or was. The same 8-10 signs just repeat over and over again all along the mall front. Were these shops ever opened or are they just "example" shops to show potential renters what their store could look like? If they were ever opened for business, I'm sorry I missed out! All I know is that I think I'm going to need a new pair of Channl pants. I may have soiled the ones I was wearing during this photo shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment